To use these themes succesfully you need to be running Windows 95/98/NT on a suitable PC with a recommended screen resolution of 800x600 and 16-bit colour or higher. A Desktop Theme is nothing more than an association of multimedia files (graphics, sounds, icons, cursors etc.,) which together create a new feel or theme to your desktop as an alternative to the standard Windows configuration. A Theme can include special startup/shutdown screens which extend the desktop theme experience to the opening and closing Windows screens. All these various mutimedia files are then stored in a compressed archive using a file compression utility (WinZip 6.0 or higher) which preserves the long file names, provides for a single file name to download and helps reduce the overall download time to a minimum.
To install these desktop themes, you'll need 2 pieces of software in addition to Windows 95/98/NT. WinZip 6.0 or higher is an essential tool which will allow you to unzip and access the archived files that comprise a desktop theme - You will also require a theme installer as provided with Microsoft Plus! or some other installation program.
Download and Installation Sequence
Follow these simple steps:
1. Create a directory on your harddrive to download the themes to (usually C:\Download) or download them to where you usually download files to. After you have download the zip file:
2. Load WinZip 6.0 or higher and open the (theme).zip file. Click on Extract.
3. In the 'Extract to' type C:\
4. Make sure you also select the following storage/extract options;
5. Click on Extract. This will:
- All Files
- Use Folder Names
- Overwrite Existing Files
6. Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Desktop Themes and choose the theme from the dropdown list. Click Apply to install it.
- Extract the files into C:\Program Files\Plus!\Themes\(themename)
- Extract the .Theme control file into C:\Program Files\Plus!\Themes